What started out merely as the first online web forum for the Miri community in 2006 using a very affordable web hosting package and a domain name MiriCommunity.net, it has now transformed into an online beacon, a public brand and a movement where anyone in or from Miri are identifying their sites, online groups or services on different platforms using similar alteration of the name. From a personal perspective, the journey of the whole project has been an interesting one and I must admit none of this could have happened without the support of my family and the nice friends from various generations I have met along the way.
Having reached its 11th anniversary, I believe it is time for a new logo design to renew or freshen the image of general perception. Personally I do not see any issues with the old logotype which we have been using — yes, we adopted the Times New Roman bold font easily found in every computer — but it is better to have a logotype design which can fit a long name and have a better dimension ratio to be consistent across the platforms we are using.
The simple details of the new 2017 logotype above:
- The complete logotype “MiriCommunity.net” stands for the Miri community network.
- The long name in this logotype uses the Ridewell font which focuses on vintage wood type image for a brand that is over a decade old.
- The black color used on the logotype represents the slogan you are already familiar with “oil is thicker than water“.
- If we break it down into visual cues, you will see the following:
- “MIRI” – The city of Miri in Sarawak, Malaysia.
- “COMMUNITY” – The people of the Miri city.
- “COMM” – It’s the short for the word “communication”.
- Vertical “MM” – To clearly show that there are 2 letter “m” in the word “community” and also to complement the visibility of the word “UNITY”.
- “UNITY” – Sticking together despite our differences.
- “.NET” – The network of networks.